Writing Craft Books by Joanne Dannon & Free Book

We invited Australian author Joanne Dannon to share with us some of her favorite writing craft books. Why don't you share yours in the comments?

And she has free gifts for all! 




Joanne Dannon, an Australian author, writes to give her readers the experience she loves to savor--indulging in a sigh-worthy-happily-ever- after, being swept away from the everyday by diving into a delicious romance novel. 

Joanne is a happily married mother of two heroes-in-training who loves spending time with friends and family. She can be found on Facebook and her website www.joannedannon.com chatting about reading, writing, cooking, vintage-inspired dresses and all things romantic.
Joanne Dannon on the web:  

Facebook      Website      Instagram      Goodreads

  She also has this message:


Sign up to my Reader Newsletter and get a FREE e-copy of Bidding on Love! 

Over to Joanne now...

Craft books

Most writers need to learn how to write. They may have a fantastic idea or be able to visualise scenes but there is still an “art” to writing that needs to be learnt.

Very few writers can just write without learning the craft of writing. I highly recommend finding good craft books, as they will really help you in understanding the genre you want to write and the “how-to” of a good book.

I have a shelf full of paperback and hard cover craft books, and value each one. They all have merit in remaining on the shelf because each of them all provided me with insight in to the world of romance writing.

Thanks to the internet and e-book retailers, you can buy and download books within minutes.

I personally prefer my craft books as physical books rather than e-books however, there is a wealth of knowledge out there that you can access with a click of a button.

Some of my favourite craft books that helped me are –

Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies
Goal Motivation Conflict – Debra Dixon
The Emotion Thesaurus – Angela Ackermann
On Writing - Stephen King
The Art of Romance Writing – Valerie Parv
Heroes and Heroines – Cowden, LaFever and Viders.

Have you read a good craft book lately? If you have, let me know.

Joanne Dannon has a new book:

Forever Mine (Alex Jackson series Book 4)


He thought she was off limits, but after a sizzling weekend, can he make her his forever? 

Hannah Greene is fed up. A romantic at heart, she’s had a major crush on her best friend’s brother for years but he’s never noticed her. To shape a life for herself away from Zac, she must move on.

Zac Warne, smooth-talking sales guy who takes responsibility to a whole new level, loves the thrill of the chase but is not interested in settling down, ever. It’s not that he doesn’t believe in love, it’s just not for him.

But circumstances have Hannah and Zac spending one weekend together and a night of fun leads to more than just emotional consequences for them.

Compelled to right wrongs and beholden to fix problems, Zac has to convince Hannah his about-turn about wanting a relationship with her is not just one of convenience. Can Hannah now trust this smooth-talking playboy who has a reputation for breaking hearts, including her own?

Buy on:


And Joanne has another book on PreOrder:

Always You: Prequel to Falling for Mr Wrong


Can love work the second time around?

Bea Morgan-Young always had excuses for her outrageous behaviour. In spite of Bea’s supportive brother and loving foster family, trouble just kept finding her. Even when Nigel Ashworth—Ash to his friends—had defended her, she’d only lashed out at him. When she runs into him ten years later, she’s settled down a bit, but still loves being the scandalous party girl, clubbing, and being the centre of attention. Though they’ve fallen in love, even his marriage proposal isn’t enough to make her compromise and move to Israel for Ash’s lucrative new job. Then one empowering weekend changes everything for Bea. Ash may be gone, but Bea’s determined to win him back.

Ash is a master at solving problems for the hotels he works for, but he’s never solved the problem of Bea, the reckless wild child he’d fallen for. Now she’s back a year later, swearing she’s changed. Has the uncompromising party girl really grown up at last? Or is it just another lie when she tells him she wants a second chance at love?

PreOrder



(Ah...craft books? I'm reading Ebony McKenna's 



and it's really good. Explains structure so well.)



25 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me, Kelly.

    I heard Ebony did a brilliant job with her online training session, so her craft book should be excellent. Ebony's got years of writing experience that would be invaluable to authors :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My latest fave craft book is Take Off Your Pants - great for a non-plotter like me :)
    Good luck with the books!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jemi. Love that there are plenty of craft books for different writers. All the best with your writing x

      Delete
  3. I agree about Stephen King's book plus any of the thesaurus books by Angela Ackerman. I just bought a new how-to book titled Master Lists for Writers, but I haven't looked through it yet. It was recommended to me, but what's good for one isn't always good for the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol - I forgot about Angela's books. I have them and they're under a pile of papers as I use them regularly. Her emotional thesaurus is brilliant :)

      Delete
  4. I think I'm completely addicted to the Emotional Thesaurus. It's SO useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree - it's brilliant! Love my copy :)

      Delete
  5. I don't mind Kindle books, but I still prefer hardcopies. They seem more important to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love e-books but for my craft books, I much prefer paperbacks. I find them easier to use and access when writing :)

      Delete
  6. Congrats, Joanne. I love your honesty about writing: writers have to learn to write. So true. It's like passing your driving test - it's only then that one learns how to drive. Great post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicola - thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it :)

      Some writers can write without learning, and their first book will be published. But for most of us, that won't happen.

      Even though I've been writing for years, I'm still learning. There's always something new about craft, the industry or process.

      Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  7. While I enjoy ebooks, I prefer my craft books in physical books also. There is just something about being able to flip through them and underline and highlight.

    Congrats on you book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SP - I totally agree. I really love my craft books as physical books too :)

      Thanks for your kind wishes and dropping by :)

      Delete
  8. I love the cover on Always You. Very pretty! I have several craft books. I really do enjoy the paperback ones more though. They're much easier to flip through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly - I do love the cover :)

      Yes, I agree, having paperback copies of craft books is so much easier. You can add tags, and it is easier to flip through.

      Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  9. Craft books can really help you polish your writing. The Emotional Thesaurus is one I have found to be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry, I totally forgot to add the Emotional Thesaurus to my list. I love my copy...in fact I got to meet Angela when she came to Australia and she signed my book :D I agree, it's an invaluable tool for writers :)

      Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  10. For me, writing came naturally, but I still devoure craft books. Even to this day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - that's so great to hear! You're one of the lucky few who can write naturally!!! What a talent :)

      Delete
  11. I'll have to check out the Emotion Thesaurus. That one sounds like it would be really useful to me. Thanks for the tips :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen - it's a definite winner and keeper :) All the best with your writing and thanks for dropping by x

      Delete
  12. Craft books are definitely essential. I love Save the Cat, Plot & Structure by Bell, and so, SOOO many others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about Save the Cat but I haven't used it. But I do have Bell's book. So many great books out there :)

      Thanks for dropping by Crystal :)

      Delete
  13. I love getting craft book ideas from other writers. It is helpful to find out what helps others! I tend to read craft books for children's book writers, but I do plan to expand my professional reading. Thanks for the recommendations, Joanne!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jess :) I think it's really important for writers to share with other writers. I'm always interested to hear what craft books other writers have found to be helpful. Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete