Chocolate Empires and the Women Who Made Them by Eliza Redgold

We have author Eliza Redgold talking about Chocolate Empires and the Women Who Made Them this week!






Eliza Redgold is an author and ‘romantic academic’. Her natural pen name is based upon the old, Gaelic meaning of her name, Dr Elizabeth Reid Boyd. English folklore has it that if you help a fairy, you will be rewarded with red gold. She writes fiction as Eliza Redgold and non-fiction as Elizabeth Reid Boyd. She is represented by Joelle Delbourgo Associates US.
Eliza Redgold’s bestselling historical fiction includes her Ladies of Legend trilogy, starting with “NAKED: A Novel of Lady Godiva” released internationally by St Martin’s Press New York. Her ‘Romance your Senses’ series of contemporary romances are published by Harlequin (MIRA) Australia. Her Victorian historical romances are published by Harlequin Historical  London (Harper Collins) and translated internationally. They include the W.H. Smith historical romance bestseller ‘Playing the Duke’s Mistress’. Her new Harlequin Historical ‘The Scandalous Suffragette’ is out now.

Eliza Redgold on the web:

Website             Facebook      Twitter      Author Page



Chocolate Empires and the Women Who Made Them

“Every step of the process of making chocolates had always fascinated her. Now she was seeking improvements in the procedure. Sometimes she took visitors on tours, to show them how their famed floral creams were made, from start to finish. The cocoa beans came from the Orient. They were ground into a buttery mass. At the factory, in huge vats, sugar and milk were added and cooked together, to make a delicious smelling warm liquid. When the liquid was evaporated, a crumbly chocolate mixture was created, put through a mill, and mixed with liquid and butter, to the correct consistency for Coombes Floral Creams.
In another part of the factory, essences were made from fruit and flower petals, to make the flavouring syrups. They stood in glass bottles, glowing in jewel colours. The syrups were mixed with sugar and cream, then kneaded by hand smooth fondant. The fondants were then dipped by hand into the chocolate, by women Violet had known since she was a little girl. A crystallised petal, dusted in sugar, was always the final element. After scrubbing her hands, she’d often been allowed to place the petal on the top of the completed chocolate sweet.
The process looked easy, but Violet knew how many times her father had failed at creating the taste that made their chocolate fondants so popular. He’d never given up.
That was the Coombes way, Violet reminded herself.”
by Eliza Redgold
When chocolate heiress Violet Coombes is caught hanging her suffragette banner in a most shocking place, Adam Beaufort Esquire proposes a marriage of convenience! His good name will avert scandal for her family, and her money will save the estate Adam’s father gambled away. Violet accepts, but she’s determined nothing will distract her from the Cause – including her oh-so-tempting husband!


I am thrilled to present ‘The Scandalous Suffragette’: Harlequin Historical’s first ever Edwardian romance.
Violet’s story is inspired by the daring suffragettes who fought for the women’s vote. Today we might not be able to imagine what it was like to have no vote and few legal rights, but in Violet’s time this battle had not yet been won.  

The time period in which Violet’s story is set was when great chocolate empires such as Cadbury and Fry had come to prominence. The confectioners generally provided excellent conditions for their workers, especially for women. In this, Violet’s goals at Coombes Chocolates factory make her very much a woman of her times.

It also meant I had to research … chocolate!

My extensive research had me delving into the history of chocolate factories, such Bournville village in England, which was built especially for the factory workers.  The original ‘factory in a garden’, it was designed to make working life … sweeter. Seriously, it’s an inspiration, and a dream we could do with re-imagining today.

I was also forced to taste a range of floral-flavoured chocolate fondants.  Fortunately, edible flowers are coming back into fashion, so I was able to do some vital tests.

Here are a few of my findings on where to find Violet Creams:

·         A friend kindly gave me a box of Charbonnel et Walker’s fine English Rose and Violet Creams Grand Ballroom Collection

·         I’m still waiting to sample the exclusive  Buckingham Palace Rose and Violet Creams

·         Somehow I always find my way to Haigh’s Chocolates in Adelaide, Australia, where they make delicious Haigh’s Dark Violet Creams

·         In the USA, floral fondants are not easy to find, so I may still need to make a special research trip, but a good place to start is The Vermont Country Store

·         Or who not try your hand at making your own chocolate creams? At elizaredgold.com you’ll find my recipe for Violet Creams (I ate far too many while writing this book).

Please let me know in the comments if you have any other important research findings!





 The Scandalous Suffragette 





Buy on:


Amazon Kindle                Amazon Paperback


Amazon Aust                   Amazon UK 

21 comments:

  1. I can't imagine living in a time where we can't even vote. Crazy times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Mary. I wouldn't take a man laying the law on me! I wonder how women managed back then. Any wonder they were fighting for their freedom?

      Delete
    2. Hard to imagine, isn't it. Hope you enjoy The Scandalous Suffragette's fight for love and freedom!

      Delete
  2. Mmmm, chocolate... And I do appreciate historicals that hit eras that aren't often seen. For some reason, certain eras are "in fashion" and others aren't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate anytime! But, yes, I do agree with what you said, certain eras seem more in fashion. But I find reading about the suffragette era fascinating. Imagine fighting to be heard above all those alpha males!

      Delete
    2. I find the suffragette era fascinating too, and I'm a bit of a Downton Abbey fan, so I like the Edwardian era. Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Kelly ... I think Eliza is on to a winner ... as a Mills and Boone author and a chocolate lover - so much to enjoy and to contemplate. My father used to bring us home chocolates from London early 60s ... violet, rose and orange creams ... and one could get crystallised petals ... delicious. Happy days - too rich for me now and the orange creams we never enjoyed ... but the petals linger in my memory. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that recollection about the crystallised petals. I wonder which London chocolatier had those chocolates?

      Delete
  4. I don't have any important research findings, but am a chocolate lover. This is a new author to me. Thanks for introducing us. I just may have to check out her books. They sound fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to meet you too, Beverly. Hope you enjoy the book.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a super book! Too many women take the rights we have today for granted, and I think we could all benefit from reading that remind us of what the suffragettes endured to secure them for us.

    Research? It's one my favorite parts of writing. As for researching chocolates, in particular, I rather fancy myself somewhat of an... expert. Yep, I can scarf down an entire box of chocolates considerably faster than most mortals. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Susan - about the vote and chocolates :)

      Delete
  6. This is sweet in several ways.
    Congratulations, Eliza!
    I had the "obligation" of sampling chocolate on a factory tour in Indonesia. Who ever thought research could be so heavenly? Sounds like an intriguing and delicious story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an obligation! The thought of it is making me crave chocolate!

      Delete
  7. Oh, delightful. Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my! Chocolates! Yum!
    Congrats on the new book, Eliza.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Researching chocolate would be great fun! And of course you'd have to sample some when you're writing. Congratulations on the new book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was fun researching chocolate - and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know everyone is focused on the chocolates but I'm more focused on the marriage of convenience. It's interesting that the guy needs the girl's help since his family isn't doing well financially. I doesn't seem to be like that ever and it would be interesting to see the dynamic between the two.

    ReplyDelete